Chocolate. Hazelnuts. Nutella. Ferrero Rocher. Oh my.
If mere mention of these make your mouth water, you absolutely must try this mug cake recipe courtesy of this little street. I recently edited an ebook of mug recipes which is still in production, and reading through all of the tasty-sounding combinations got me interested. I loosely promised myself I’d take a stab at a mug recipe in the near future, but it wasn’t until I encountered this sweet little gem on Pinterest that I was pushed over the edge. “That’s it!” I thought, “I have to make this!” … And make this I did.
I highly encourage you to give this recipe a shot if you’re in the mood for something gooey, chocolatey, nutty and all-around spectacular.
To start, gather the following:
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 Ferrero Rocher chocolate candy
1. One by one, add the ingredients to your microwave-safe mug or bowl in the order listed above and whisk well with a fork.
2. If your mug is more than ¾ full, divide batter into additional mug(s) or place a small plate underneath to prevent overflow before cooking. The self-rising flour really creates volume!
3. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Less time will result in a moor gooey consistency, and more time will make it a little more dry and fluffy. For my microwave, 1 ½ minutes was perfect.
4. Allow to cool slightly, top with whipped cream, and dig in!
5. [Optional] Giggle to yourself happily as the fudgey flavor molecules overcome you, and make your dog wonder what on earth is wrong with you.
Frankly, as a person who enjoys nearly everything involving the words “chocolate” and “cake,” my standards for being wowed by a fudgey dessert are admittedly low. But, seriously, this thing was amazing. I hope you’ll give it a try! I had so much fun preparing and enjoying this mug cake, I’m planning to test a few additional recipes in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for more deliciousness.
Disclaimer: if you are watching your weight, or are concerned even remotely about your caloric intake, even a tiny bit, it’s probably a good idea to split this treat with a friend (or two, or three). I calculated the calories based on the ingredients, and it clocked in at a whopping 1,169 calories!! Fortunately for my taste buds (but unfortunately for the rest of me), I was home alone when I whipped this one up, so it was mine (all mine!!). By all means, indulge if you would like, but consider yourself warned!