I’m still determined to surprise/impress Mr. Crafty when he returns home from his work trip, so I set out to finish my mold and mildew removal project, which I started a couple weeks ago.
Now, the rest of the house was nowhere near as dark and dingy as the front was before I cleaned it, but, since the house is built into a hill, the walls on the left and right side are WAY bigger than the front of the house. I decided to start on the left side of the house, and work my way to the biggest side – the wall facing the driveway.
I started out brimming with optimism.
I soon added goggles to this getup. Because brick dust + contact lenses = ouch.
Since this side of the house was (I thought) was less in need of a deep cleaning than the front was, I decided to forego the detergent/hose combo I used last time, and just spot clean using my trusty wire brush.
After eight hours of grueling scrubbing — and getting covered in red dust — this was how far I’d gotten.
I was so disappointed that I wasn’t able to finish this side of the house before nightfall, let alone start the driveway side. I get super committed to finishing a task once I start it, so I was out there balancing on the ladder and scrubbing away until I couldn’t see what I was doing anymore. I showed my next door neighbors (AKA parents), and they were both thrilled with how much better it was starting to look. I still felt super bummed that I wasn’t able to finish the job, and that Mr. Crafty would come home to a half-cleaned house, since I wouldn’t have time to get back at it before he was due home.
One of the things I’m starting to learn from this home renovation project is that I need to work on being more flexible, and not getting so upset when things don’t quite go according to plan. Sometimes I have a tendency to overestimate how much I can get done on a particular day, and I tend to fixate on that goal instead of adjusting it when it becomes obvious that it wasn’t practical to begin with. And it’s difficult for me to scrap a plan and come up with a new solution when the method I’m using is taking too long. I realize now it wasn’t reasonable to expect that I could wire brush half the house (actually, more, since the front and back portions of brick are much smaller than the sides) in one day, but I might’ve been able to speed things up with a different approach. Anyhow, this project has definitely been quite the journey of self-discovery (and skill building!) so far, and I’m sure this is just one of many lessons I’ll learn in the months to come. I am happy for the progress I was able to make on this wall, but I’m definitely looking forward to coming up with a plan on how to complete it once Mr. Crafty gets back!